Wednesday 28 August 2013

Jams - Sweet and Savoury


Well its been that time of year again, when I get the urge to make jam.  Its been a good year for berries and our blackcurrant bushes have done us proud despite the heavy snow in March (remember that?) bringing the cast iron guttering down from the garage against which the bushes grow and flattening half of them.

This year I made blackcurrant liqueur from half of the berries and jam from the rest.  The liqueur will be ready by the end of the year so its good to have the jam to enjoy now.

I have also bought chilli plants from the supermarket the last couple of years which keep me in chillies for most of the year.  They dry really well and I make an amazing Chilli Jam courtesy of a recipe from Nigella, whilst they are fruiting at their best.


I bottled some of it up in these small jars which are perfect as gifts.  It tastes really good with meats and is particularly good with cheese.

The blackberry's are abundant this year so as soon as the apples get a little bigger there will be pies and of course more jam!!  The pears are pretty abundant this year too so I'm looking forward to finding interesting recipes for those too - although I'll have to get in fast as there are some rather large black birds enjoying them at the moment......

Well enough of all this domesticity I really must see what the shops are offering in the way of Autumn fashion, see you soon, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment