Tuesday 3 July 2012

hot chilli and garden flowers

We have been eating quite a lot of spicy food recently as a result of this.....

Of course, as with all produce all the chilli's have ripened at once so I am trying madly to incorporate them into everything I make.  They are also really hot, I suppose its because they are fresh - all fruit and veg tastes so much better picked straight from the plant. So yesterday I took a few off and had a go at drying them.  I put them in a roasting pan and put them on the top of the aga for 24 hours and this is what I have..

they seem to have dried pretty well so I am going to put them in a bag in the store cupboard and see how they keep.  I will also be making chilli jam and infusing some oil.  You can tell I'm a good Yorkshire lass and hate waste!

After the hideous weather we have been having of late I went into the garden and rescued some of the most battered of the peonies.  We have loads of flowers this year but the weather has not been kind to them and the very heavy heads have been forced downward, so I thought better in my dining room than  as food for the slugs!


I don't know the variety as they were in the garden when we arrived, but they have the most heavenly scent, and some have either a pale coral, or pale pink centre.  I adore peonies, I just wish they lasted longer.

I also picked a few of the climbing roses that grow along the side fence.  They look really poorly this year - I think the mildew has got the better of them and when the flowers have gone I thing a good prune is in order, although my record with pruning roses is really bad - in that usually I manage to kill them - but as this is a climber I'm hoping I'll have a bit more success.

Well this seems to have turned into a bit of a gardening post today, maybe its because so far today its hasn't rained, so I'd better scoot out there again before it does, bye for now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment